THE FIRST SIX STEPS FIX THE POLITICAL PROBLEMS BY CLEAVING CORRUPTING MONEY FROM POLITICS
Decades of systematic dysfunction has a single source: the Mad Money of Greed Gone Wild! It is entrenched, more powerful than in a century, and way ahead of us 99% at this moment in history. But an educated public with clear heads will still prevail at the ballot box. Here's how we do it.
Get the money out of politics, now. The first six steps do just that. Tell the Supreme Court once and for all that corporations are not people and do not have the speech rights of people. Money is not speech. Money as speech is bribery. The Bill of Rights is by, of and for the people.
People rights are rights. The right to vote, assemble and speak truth shall not be abridged and must be reaffirmed. The revolving doors by which corruption is institutionalized in government must close. Wall Street gamblers can be gamblers, but Main Street banks must return to being banks. And until financial crimes do time, they will keep doing crime.
We need and deserve competent government that rises to the challenges of this century. Until we get the Greedy Mad Money out of politics, that is only a wish. Public Campaign Financing of all statewide and federal elections will make political contributions a scourge of the past.
The Fix is in. It's time we fix the fix! Here's how we do it.
1. End Corporate Personhood: Ratify the 28th Amendment to end this corrosive legal fiction of Citizens United/SCOTUS decision that grants human rights to a lifeless legal entity, on the basis that money is speech, with no evidence of corrupting influence in politics.
2. Guarantee Voting Rights: Enact the VOTING RIGHTS ACT to secure the ballot box, guarantee ease of access, availability for all citizens nationwide. Remove voting from political influence and purchased allegiance.
3. Outlaw Lobbying: Close K Street and the Banking/Defense/Medical/Congressional revolving door that breeds systematic political bribery, delayed promises of employment, hiring of family members. Register for public disclosure all meetings between elected officials and their employees.
4. Restore Banks & Regulate Wall Street: Restore Glass-Steagall, Tax Financial Transactions, Breakup the Big Banks. Too big to fail and too big to prosecute means too big to allow, risk or tolerate. Outlaw commodity ownership by hedge funds.
5. Prosecute Financial Crimes as Crimes: Mandate Jail-time for big and repeat offenders, enact a Corporate Death Penalty for egregious repeat offenders, and mandate full disclosure all regulatory settlements, on public media.
6. Get the Greed Out of Politics with Political Campaign Finance Reform: Full Financial Disclosure for all PACs and NPOs, Set strict donation limits and Publicly Finance State and Federal Political Campaigns, establish equitable Non-partisan Congressional District Reform to end gerrymandering.